Call Today for a Consultation
Toll Free: 800-495-9153
Local: 321-426-1848

Legal documents you should sign if your child is going to college

Sending your kid off to college is a monumental time. It is a huge change for both you and your child who is now an adult. There are a lot of things to take care of–packing up clothes, moving and, of course, crying. However, amidst all the chaos, you should not forget to take care of some legal matters.

Now that your son or daughter is 18 years old and moving out, you cannot make legal choices for him or her. Not having this ability can be stressful when your child is away from you. Without the written consent from your child, you will not be able to make decisions regarding medical treatment or finances. This can be troublesome if your child gets into an accident and becomes incapacitated. Here are the documents you and your child must sign to ensure you have peace of mind.

Health care power of attorney

By signing a health care power of attorney, your child assigns you (or someone else) as an agent to make health care decisions on his or her behalf if s/he cannot. Other names for a health care power of attorney include medical power of attorney, durable power of attorney for health care or designation of a health care proxy. 

General power of attorney

A general power of attorney gives you the ability to manage the finances of your child in the event of incapacity. Your child may give you the authority to make decisions about the following:

  • Bank accounts
  • Tax returns
  • Health insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Transferring assets to trusts

Your kid can set limits to what you can oversee and when your authority goes into effect. 

Not being able to make financial or medical decisions on behalf of your child can be scary. Make sure you sort these documents out as soon as possible so both of you can feel better.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Consult Our Florida Lawyer for Veterans Aid & Attendance

Feel free to contact us and schedule an initial consultation where we can review your circumstances in an intimate setting and discuss how our Brevard County Elder lawyer can help you. Simply call Amy B. Van Fossen, P.A., locally at 321-426-1848 or toll free at 800-495-9153. We look forward to meeting you.

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Visit Our Office

Law Office of Amy B. Van Fossen, P.A.
1696 West Hibiscus Blvd
Suite A
Melbourne, FL 32901

Toll Free: 800-495-9153
Phone: 321-426-1848
Fax: 321-345-5417
Map & Directions

Review Us

We accept

VISA | MasterCard | American Express | Discover Network